CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 1, 2008

Des Moines South Side Super Block Zoo Expansion

I live right next to Fort Des Moines Park. From what I understand and have been told by my neighborhood association, the "county park preserve" is just going to be a large portion of the Fort Des Moines park. I would support the expansion more if it didn't take away from the county park. The zoo is owned by the city and shouldn't try to buy off another plot of land for the county conservation. The lake and playground and bike trails I've been on since I was 5 would be part of "Africa, Primates, South and North America". Why is it that we can take away from a county park and leave the golf course unscathed?
A path is also proposed to lead from the Sommerset Neighborhood to the park. This bike path would bring traffic from the dead end that is my street to the zoo. Next to the zoo are buildings that used to be a part of the Fort Des Moines Army Reserves currently housing "offenders prior to conviction, post conviction, and for offenders" through the Fifth Judicial District of Correctional services. They own less than an acre of the proposed "super block". If this was moved to a new location, I also would be in greater support of creating a more "friendly family" environment surrounding the zoo and park.
After the last expansion on the zoo with the indoor facilities thing, I'm sure interest increased, but after you've seen that once, have you seen it all? is the zoo going to expand every five years? What happens after this 50 million plan gets old?

0 comments: