CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

simple smile

While walking home from work last week, there were some kids on the corner. They all went silent and stared at me-- until I walked by. After I had passed them, they were all talking loudly to each other about my goat purse. I turned around and said,"I'm not deaf. I'm right here." They looked awe struck. I kept walking.
"It looks like an old granny!" some one said. I turned around, gave them a "wtf" look, and kept walking. They did this another time too.
Today, while walking, I saw three kids talking at the corner. The girls, and a boy on a bike. I smiled and said 'hi' to them. I kept walking and from a house I heard a girl run out to the top of her driveway and yell at me.
"You're disgusting and we think your teddy bear purse is ugly!" she yelled. So much pure hate and spite coming from this girl's voice. She was probably only 10 years old. I turned around and gave a "wtf" look.
A different girl came out and yelled,"You're ugly!" I looked her straight in the eye as she said it. I was just so confused. Where had this hate came from?
"Do you want to talk to me?" I asked. She and her friends ran inside giggling and screaming. I looked over at the three younger kids on their bikes. Maybe they were 6 or 7. They watched silently. I walked up to the house. More screaming and laughing came from inside. Loud,"Oh my god!"s echoed from within. I rang the door bell.
"nooo ones hoooome" someone called. I waited patiently and held my hands. I knocked on the door. No answer. I waited a bit longer.
"She's so nice..."said a young girl at the corner.
"Yeah..."said the boy.
"Why are they so mean to her, Maddie?"asked another girl. I turned and as I walked down the driveway, I smiled brightly at them and walked up the street. I'll leave a letter or talk to their parents some other time.
I smiled all the way home.

0 comments: